![]() |
| Turn up your volume |
| Hi Gursajan and Grace |
This week I completed my methods assignment and I am now pretty confident in what I need to do for my research.
The main component of my research is my code. This code needs to be as specific and detailed as possible to ensure that my study is replicable as well as valid. Each term needs to defined in a way that is simple for the reader to follow as well as complex enough to have significance. I will be able to create an initial code based on my preliminary research from my literature review and hypothesis and seeing what components of reality television to search for in the seasons of Survivor. After viewing the first couple of seasons, I will go back and reevaluate the code and the components I am looking at to ensure that it is significant as well as revealing.
| Too many steps too little time |
![]() |
| Me in February |
ize all my data but I will figure that out once I write the code. The main goal going forward, especially over break, is to attempt to write the code and finish the proposal. Additionally, I need to create the coding sheet, which I will probably do on excel, over the break to attempt to figure out how this is going to work. The coding sheet is my main concern. After I finish that I feel like my life will be a lot easier. This is gonna be soooooo much fun.
| Word Count:418 |



Okay, this song is just so bad. Just so bad. And while your post isn't funny, having this playing in the background as I read it is.
ReplyDeleteAnyways -- onto your project: How do you intend on creating the codes? Are you going to use the features articulated in your literature review? If so, are you going to come up with specific indicators of those features?
Also, in terms of organizing the data, I think an excel spreadsheet would likely be the best way for you to go about it. Then you can have clear categories on the top and episode indicators on the side and then write in the tabulations and qualitative analysis in the cells that correspond with the category and the episode. Just a thought!
Hi Catherine! Nice job revamping your blog. It's amazing.
ReplyDeleteAnyways onto your content. I too am nervous about creating a sheet but I think you had a lot of good information that you can use for the coding. Are all of these variables going to be present in the analysis?
I know you mentioned seasons that had a different main element added to them like the live tweeting. So I think you could analyze this big seasons and see what stayed the same despite the big element change? I think there are a lot of different ways you could do it, it is more dependent on what elements you want to code for. But like you said, you just have to justify each decision you make, so there is not just one right way to do it. As long as you do this, I think your project will be extremely successful!
Catherine, this new blogpost is very eye-popping (to say the least).
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you when you say that your codes need to be incredibly specific. If you are able to identify all the important parts of a reality television show and justify their importance, then I think your coding sheet should focus specifically on the different parts of a reality television show.
In regards to the episodes that you should watch, I think that watching the first and second season is imperative. You could randomly choose the rest of the seasons that you wish to watch, but it could be better if you chose to watch every other season or something along those lines. That would maybe help because you could also see the development and changes the show underwent as it progressed.