This week has consisted mainly of discovering what a literature review is and how I can successfully find sources to complete the literature review.
 |
| Before this week |
 |
| After |
Before starting on the literature review, I need to compile sources into an in depth annotated bibliography and sort these sources into different subtopics.
 |
| Trying to find my subtopics |
My first subtopic is
editing. Editing sets up how individuals see the show. In this subtopic, I am going to focus on certain editing techniques. This subtopic, as I delve further into all of the sources, I may find that I need to split this subtopic up into a couple more specific ones since it is a little broad at the moment. Next I have
Characterization/Portrayals, which encompasses how individuals are shown throughout the run of the series. Going with characterization,
exit/elimination is important aspect to each reality TV competition shows. For example in Survivor the entire show is set up around tribal council where a player gets eliminated. With this subtopic, I want to see how eliminations on shows in the past differ from those in the present or how the different set ups for eliminations. Moving on,
segments is the next subtopic. Different shows use different types of segments, for example there are challenges, mini challenges, etc.
Timing also ties in with segments.
 |
| Sorry for my rambling |
Next, setting is a huge aspect. Are shows more successful and last longer when placed in an exotic or intriguing setting? What effect does setting have on the audience. Stemming off of that, audience/viewership is another subtopic. Viewership determines the longevity of a program as television networks look at viewership numbers to decide if they want to renew a program or not. I feel like this subtopic ties in with every subtopic. Competition is another possible subtopic, but I don't this is substantial enough to stand on its own. I'm probably missing a really obvious subtopic, but I will find it when I'm looking through papers.
 |
| Plans for this week. |
My plan for this week is to make a list of all the sources I think I need. This will help me find sources when I start running out of ideas because I have noticed (especially last year in Seminar) the further along I got into the annotated bibliography the amount of sources I could think to find decreased. This list will help me stay on track and make sure I'm finding sources I need. Additionally, I need to find specific shows to focus on but I think I can figure that out later once I see where the papers I am reading are taking me. Overall, I think I'm in a good place and hopefully I can find some solid sources.
 |
| Word Count: 444 |
Catherine, first, as always, your blog is hilarious. Your gifs of Teresa Guidice, my personal hero, were flawlessly integrated into your blog.
ReplyDeleteOkay, so the subtopics -- I think that the subtopics right now more seem like characteristics that you would use to analyze the TV shows in question, so I agree that they're important, but I almost think you'll need to prove that they ARE important elements in the creation of a successful TV show.
Moreover, I think you'll need to do a good deal of theoretical work that speaks to the connection between societal values and values in TV shows. Further, you'll need to prove that people are affected by media (see Media Effects theories). That theoretical work, in combination with the rise in reality TV's popularity, will help prove the significance of your topic and contextualize your topic as something meaningful that can produce important insights.
Hey Catherine! Love your blog, and I think you have done a great job brainstorming a list of features in reality TV you will need to explore in judging the show's success in gaining viewership. However, like Ms. Haag mentioned above, I think you should focus now on what's going on outside of the features themselves. What is the history behind reality TV and competition shows? Why have they become popular? Having some subtopics that detail the history and what viewers value will help set up the context for your research. Also, sources that deal with how reality TV (or TV in general) mirrors societal values will be essential for determining the significance of your research. I think that you have a great idea of the types of things you will be looking into, but work on building a frame and justification for looking into these things (e.g. history, context, proven link b/w TV and personal values/societal trends). Good luck finding more sources! You have done a great job bringing your thoughts together so far and I know you will continue to bring together a fantastic project. :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteLove those memes, but that comes later. Looking at reality television in America can take lots of different routes. Regarding finding the relationship between viewership and television, you definitely hit on almost all of the major subtopics you should be looking at through your lit. review. However, like Mrs. Haag said, you should explore some psychological or theoretical perspectives behind reality television—since this gives you and your reader very important context. Overall, you are making great progress. The only question that I have is, will you be considering the role that reality television plays in modern American culture? Do you think looking at how reality t.v. has influenced American culture is important and pertinent to your paper? Other than that, I think your paper will be a really fun ride. I wish you the best of luck.
ReplyDeleteOne more thing. Your memes/gifs definitely add lots of meaning to your blogpost—they show a certain emotion, that even the best writers can’t even express. However, I do have a problem with the memes. Teresa is definitely not the star of the Real Housewives of New Jersey, she is just another trashy celeb with too much plastic on her body (sorry Mrs. Haag). We all know that the real star of the show is Milania. Milania has no plastic, and she is still fantastic. ;)
ReplyDeleteCRYING.
Delete