Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Week 4

Thankfully this week I was able to find some amazing sources. I found a foundational source that outlines formatting, but I still need to search for a book focused on reality TV.  Most of my sources have focused on the psychological response viewers have when watching TV in general as well as why individuals watch TV. Finding a source that talks about the reasons individuals watch reality Tv would help in tying all of these sources together. Moving forward I need to find sources that are not in this area and discover ones that outline and analyzes the certain aspects of reality TV. I need to also add sources detailing the history of reality TV and the shift of reality TV and TV in general throughout the 2000s.
@ Finding sources
I noticed when analyzing my sources that they were all citing Albert Moran. 
Albert Moran is Mama June and I'm Honey Boo Boo
Albert Moran has written numerous papers on on television and has taught screen studies for over 40 years. His book Understanding the Global TV Format provides insight on how TV in general has shifted from "live and quality" TV with limited channel choices to "a unique intersection of new technologies of intermission and reception," meaning there are now a plethora of channels on TV combined with the new digital era causing TV networks to shift their strategies. This source focuses on formats between TV shows and places the most attention on reality TV.  While this source focuses on the international trade of TV, it also provides insight on why certain formats are successful and the appeal of these formats for the audiences. Additionally, this source shows how most programs have a similar foundation to them, especially with reality TV. This source combined with other source mostly focus on why TV shows are successful when they are transferred between countries, but fail to take into account why reality TV shows that are similar to each other in the US are successful within the US. They focus on individual elements but fail to connect how shows employ these certain elements that appeal to the audiences. This is my gap. Another gap I have noticed in my research is all these sources outline why individuals are drawn to TV and the effect TV has on them, but they do not explain how this reflects society. 
Praying the gap actually exists
Moving on, the literature review is about filling in this gap. I need to synthesize all these sources, separated by subtopics that still converse with the other subtopics, and show that there is actually a gap in research. The most important thing in my opinion for the literature review is to make sure the sources are flowing together and not randomly thrown in. The literature review sets the tone of the paper and without a strong and insightful literature review I will be unable to create a successful and compelling research paper. 
I'm still dreading the Literature Review :)
The plan moving forward for next week is to find the sources I outlined in the beginning of this post as well as to continually make sure I can see my sources flowing together.

UPDATE: I just found a book that outline the emergence of reality TV and the different generations of reality TV.

Word Count: 509

On a separate note, the toddlers and tiaras reboot premiered 2 weeks ago and I strongly recommend it or any other TLC  show for that matter. 

3 comments:

  1. Catherine, you are like a secret comedic genius. I look forward to your blog every week because I know it'll be hilarious. Picturing Albert Moran as Honey BooBoo is giving me so much life right now, and your recommendation at the end is also slaying me, but in a good way.

    I'm glad to hear that you're on a roll with finding sources. I think your analysis of the Moran source is pretty on point, too. What I would like to see, though, is a little more direction and shape for your literature review. It seems like a vague, general thing, so I just want to know what your specific plan of attack is for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I literally watched the last gif for 5 minutes and cried laughing.

    Anyways, your Moran source sounds great! I think this really gives structure to your argument and some ideas you can play off for your research. You mention vaguely how this converses with other sources, but it sounds like you have really specific ideas you are looking for. Have you considered maybe looking into why individuals gossip or feel the need to know about other people's lives? Maybe this can help bridge the gap from watching tv to watching reality tv.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is awesome that you have found a gap in your research. That means, you can start refining you research even more, to look for which “holes” interest you, and which don’t. Also, you can start forming the bare bones of a research question. This means that you are really far ahead, and there is no need for you to stress out. I think that the Albert Moran source is very useful, and will be a integral part of your research. I think it would be really interesting if you looked into why audiences are appealed to reality television. I think that this will definitely be in line with your original idea of comparing successful and unsuccessful, yet similar, reality television shows. However, have you looked at any sources that focus on defining the characteristics of reality television? I think if you can find a source that shows what the values are that reality television exhibits, you can relate this to the audience. However, you are doing really well. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete